Saturday, August 22, 2009

Horns and Halos


So since I had no other plans tonight I thought I would indulge myself with another Documentary. This one was not what I expected it to be, it was called "Horns and Halos" It follows the story of a young publisher trying to bring a book back to life that had been literally burned because it made allegations about G.W. Bush and his coke habits in his earlier years. And the other person they follow is the author of the book.

The doc. focuses almost completely on them and ignores the more important message in my opinion. Instead of delving into the world of Bush we follow around the other two people, who don't get me wrong were certainly interesting. But my big complaint about both men that we follow is that they are so egotistical and personal agenda pushing it over shadows the message they originally trying to get people to swallow about Bush and how he is not to be trusted.

The young publisher is self serving and bigger in his own eyes than everyone else thinks, to the point that at a book expo he has a large mural painted of himself behind their booth. The author might be even worse because he plays down his ego, but shows that he thinks more of himself than he lets on. On top of that the author was convicted of attempted murder, and cant understand why that might over shadow his book. What happens to him I do feel bad about, and he ends up getting the very short end of the stick.

My main problem was with the people who made it, they ignored a real and important subject to focus on two men who pretended to care about this bigger issue, but at every turn served themselves. Here's a quote, "People keep wanting to talk about my criminal record, well I wont talk about it here, any questions about that for me?"

Overall I understand the doc. is about these two men and not Bush, but the men don't seem to deserve the exposure, but then again a lot of people in docs don't deserve the exposure. 5/10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment