Thursday, December 3, 2009

Innocence


Whew, where to start. Parts of this film, far to many parts in fact bordered on erotica for pedophiles. That's no exaggeration, it made me feel so uncomfortable and embarrassed I was watching this.

Now before I go further let me explain that other parts of it were very good, but before I get to that I need to vent on the other parts of it that bothered me. The film has a slow opening, I think only by minute seven do we actually see any people, for that I tip my hat to them, its a bold step to make the beginning of your movie so boring, and that's a compliment. The beginning was boring, it was water coming towards the camera and black screen with credits. When we actually do see some of the characters it's when it first gets awkward. There is a coffin in a room, a bunch of little girls open it and there is a 6 or 7 year old inside only wearing bottoms, this is Iris and she's the new girl at this "school." Right away upon seeing the little girl I felt uncomfortable, she was nearly naked, but I thought it was just this one scene.

I was wrong, we right away jump to a bunch of little girls getting nearly naked and swimming in a lake. I was close at this point to turning it off, and I would have, but there are very few movies that I have just straight up quit watching, it takes a lot for me to make that choice, so I wanted to give this movie a chance. After the swimming scene is when it starts to get a little more comfortable, it for about half an hour just follows the girls as they eat, play in the woods and do really nothing in particular. There are of course little things we are learning as we go, but nothing really jaw dropping. Mostly at this point I was wondering why this would be considered a school when they don't do anything and there are no adults.

This is when the first real punch in the face happens, we are meeting the teachers who work there Mademoiselle Eva and Mademoiselle Edith. We see how they teach the girls to dance and are pretty mysterious themselves along with the rest of the surroundings. One of the little girls from another group asks Iris if she wants to escape with her, Iris is to afraid so the little girl gets in a row boat on the lake and goes out on her own. The boat starts to fill with water, and she stops rowing, defeated. The camera dips under the water and when it comes up its night and raining, the boat is half submerged and the little girl is gone. What a great shot, it was so well composed and made shivers run down my spine.

The girls are learning to dance, ballet to be specific, and the only other subject I could detect was a form of Biology where they learn about animals, mostly the butterfly and its metamorphosis. Okay, I get it, they are little girls, they are becoming women, they are changing just like the butterflies and the dance is the dance they all have to do as they move into the grace of being a woman, I understand. So why then I ask was it necessary to have the kids naked or nearly naked so much of the time?

As more of the movie goes by we see another little girl named Alice who also wants to get out of the school, the headmistress is supposed to pick a little girl every year to take out with her (the school is located in the woods and the grounds are walled in) Alice tries so hard to be the best dancer of her age group, she doesn't make it, and decides to jump the wall. They just like the other little girl who was "drowned" say she wont be coming back ever.

The women of the school start to talk about the girls escaping amongst themselves and about the outside world, this is when my curiosity began to peak about the outside. What was wrong with it that they had to wall the girls into this place?

Anyway I wont go anymore into the plot (to much to try and explain) but there were a few more moments that were very voyeuristic and pedophilic, including seeing a twelve year old completely naked. It was upsetting to say the least. Whenever the women were on screen it was just so amazing to compare the two, adults to children and see how beautiful the women are, and question how someone could be sexually attracted to children.

The acting by the children and adults alike was very enjoyable, they were roles I'm sure were hard to nail down, there is seemingly so little that happens and we don't really know anything about any of them. Most of the movie is the kids playing, dancing and wondering whats outside the wall (only the French could pull that off)

The Cinematography was gorgeous and chilling, lighting some of these scenes must have been so fun, every shot was composed like a still image, there are plenty of Steadicam shots and cranes used. Its all very floaty, but when it has to be rigid and a little scary its more than a little. It was a good contrast seeing the girls play during the day and laughing and then seeing a single girl walking at night under trees each of which have a light and seeing her appear and then disappear as she heads off to do who knows what (you find out later.)

If it wasn't for the wealth of interesting shots this movie would have gotten a very low rating from me, as well as if the rest of the movie was like the first forty minutes, I don't know if I would have been able to finish it. But it got better as the movie went on, so it redeemed it self at times.
Overall 6/10, please French people, stay away from the kids.

Director: Lucile Hadzihalilovic

Starring: Zoe Auclair, Berangere Haubruge, Lea Bridarolli, Marion Cotillard, Helen de Fougerolles


No comments:

Post a Comment