Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Trembling Before G-d


I was in the mood for a documentary last night, and one that felt familiar enough that I could passively watch and not get lost at all. So I picked this one, which in many ways felt similar to other docs. on the same subject, but with one glaring difference.

I've seen a lot of docs. about how Christians treat those who are homosexual, and this was the first one I saw about how Jews treat members of Judaism who are gay. Specifically it deals with how Hasids and Orthodox deal with this "problem." I was sad to see how those who are ultra religious can all act so similar, I've prided myself in the way homosexuality is viewed by the Jews, but was always looking at Reform, not Orthodox. Just like how Christian people are pushed out of their faith, so are religious Jews. A big difference though is that Jews keep to themselves, they don't try and force anything onto anyone, and thank G-d for that.

Its sad to see people pushed away like this, for something they cant help, and is just a part of them. It was important that they show this, Christians and Muslims shouldn't be the only ones bearing the brunt of the blame for being on edge with homosexuality. Listening to these people talk just reminded me of how far we've come, but also just how far we still need to go. Religion may never change, but at least on the government side we can fix the inequality.

It was straightforward in its message, it wasn't shot great, but docs. don't have to be, so long as the message is strong and well supported I can overlook the way something is shot. 7/10 stars.

Director: Sandi Simcha Dubowski

No comments:

Post a Comment