Thursday, January 21, 2010

Raise the Red Lantern


I think its hard for many Asian films to easily translate to our Western culture, there seems to be some disconnect along the way. There are of course movies that I can easily understand and follow "Battle Royale" "Ran" but then there are also the ones I just don't get such as "Suicide Club" or "Oldboy" This film on the other hand I feel communicates it self across cultural bounds.

Songlian is a young woman who after her father dies is forced into being the 4th wife of a rich Chinese man. She is basically going to be a concubine and will need to produce another son for him. When she moves in she is quickly either accepted by the other wives or finds herself new enemies. There is a certain hierarchy of the household and the politics are cut throat. She as the youngest and most beautiful becomes the Masters new favorite, as she tries to keep herself apart from the drama that's created she eventually buys into it and becomes just as bad as they act.

In these type of movies it either goes like that or they are able to with hold entirely, this though was not the case. As a prisoner of sorts she plays the game quickly. Like many Asian movies its very quiet and still, which I think in this works for it instead of against it as I have seen happen before. They certainly knew what they were doing with the camera as well as the color choices they used. Working with the estate they live on for almost every single frame of the movie they effectively make every inch of the place feel like a bricked in prison, there are so many rules they must follow and certain schedules, sounds like prison to me.

Something I really liked about it was that you barely see the Masters face, its either obscured by silk, or a plant, or he simply has his back to the camera. The main reason I think this film works as well as it does, and so easily crosses borders to other audiences is that it is a global story, the woman who is forced to marry someone she doesn't want to, and has to fulfill some sort of task, such as having a son. Just think "Marie Antoinette" "The Other Boleyn Girl" and those are just two quick examples off the top of my head, there are certainly another 15 movies I alone have seen that fit this description.

Its a beautiful movie and very sad in its beauty. When it ended I just sort of stared at the screen admiring the last series of shots, which from a Cinematography stand point was something I hadn't really seen before. The film is so full of pent up female sexuality and the hypocrisies that come from a society where men are held in higher esteem than that of women.

Its a strong movie, its quieter and slower though than I think most people are willing to sit through, there isn't much action, even the sexuality of it is deep under the surface. I mean seeing someone play footsie in it seems like a trespass unspeakable. As there are so many other films with this same basic story, I cant really say that its a must see, but it is certainly something I would recommend to anyone who likes Asian Cinema or if you are in the mood for something like this. 7/10 stars.

Director: Yimou Zhang

Starring: Li Gong, Saifei He, Cuifen Cao, Jingwu Ma, Lin Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment