Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Tunnel


When I read the description for a movie and it says that its two hours and fifty minutes it makes me a little careful of when I want to start the movie since I would want to see it all in one sitting. Problem with that is other obligations that I have to deal with as well as the possibility I might get....dun dun dun...bored!

That was not the case with this, the time flew by with it, and I liked it a lot. Its the true story of a national athlete from east Berlin who escapes and then with the help of like minded people dig an extensive tunnel under the newly constructed wall in the sixties to get people out. Its slow and played out, there are several "oh shit" moments in it, and the "villains" who are, don't get me wrong very bad people are still just that, just people. One of them even says if we just had the same ideals we wouldn't have to be like this, wise, and obvious, but also self aware enough for me to say "that's enough" but they don't.

The acting was great, with a really amazing cast, no one of which I recognized (maybe the sister) it was German anyway, so it's not like I would. The film and the actors for their part are really good at showing the pure desperation that they must have felt at the time, and the real danger of what would happen to them if caught. People turn on one another, they back stab, but for no other reason than to save themselves.

They did some very cool things with the lighting and certain shots, and they really understood how to fully use the frame to their advantage. They weren't afraid of the dark, they use it in moderation though. The colors were spot on, it was crisp and clear, very impressive all around.

It was a great telling of a story that is, not largely ignored but certainly less played up than other events of the last century. It was very good, and I highly recommend it, if you don't like subtitles then stay away (and you might be an idiot) 8/10 stars.

Director: Roland Suso Richter

Starring: Heino Ferch, Nicolette Krebitz, Sebastian Koch, Allexanda Maria Lara, Claudia Michelson, Felix Eitner

No comments:

Post a Comment